Software packaging plans

The past year, and especially the past 6 months, has been crazy, and I haven’t had time for packaging software.  With that and other lapses over the past few years, I’ve decided to slow down.  I still use the software at my job, this will be the main focus.  I’m starting to catch up, but I only have a vague ETA of before the end of the year, hopefully.

This is what I have in mind:

  • System

Immediately, I will bump the minimum to macOS 10.14 Mojave due to a change in one of the GDAL dependencies.  In the future I may bump the minimum again in the middle of a major GDAL or QGIS release.

I don’t know what I will do with M1.  I don’t have an M1 Mac yet for development, though I do have access to one for testing.  QGIS may take a while anyways because a new Qt version is needed, and a QGIS update for that is in progress.

  • GDAL Complete

I will try to keep this up to date, independent of the QGIS version, so it could change in the middle of a QGIS major version.

  • QGIS

I will package only the LTR version.  It looks like the releases will slow down so this works well with my plan.  Qt could be a problem due to licensing changes and changing system support.  It’s possible I could change Qt versions in the middle of a QGIS release.

  • Postgres/PostGIS

Low priority for updates.  I’ll package them as time permits.