I finally got a chance to clean up the build instructions and verify Tiger compatibility. Only a few version changes, and couple additions (HDF and NetCDF for GDAL!). One big change is the addition of patch files, to replace hacking files with a text editor and reduce the chance of errors.
I decided to not have everything build exactly as my installers are generated, so you can mess around with both. There are some general notes on the Downloads page if you want to try to mix installer binaries with build instructions, ie if you want to use all the available installers as a base for GRASS (I may add that to the instructions in more detail).
I’m looking into getting the GRASS side of the instructions on the GRASS site, so it’s more visible. I haven’t decided if I want to maintain 2 slightly different sets (ie change my copy to use my binaries), or 2 the same, or just on the GRASS site (not likely). We’ll see how it goes.
Well, aren’t things just happnin here!?
MapServer 4.6 (final) is here, just in time for OSG.
Graphics Libs – added a patch I discovered while poking around PDFlib. It adds support for certain old JPEGs-in-TIFFs created by Wang software.
That’s all for now. Off to OSG.
I discovered that an option when building GDAL is a little misleading – with-static-proj (vs. the default ‘dynamic’ linking). That doesn’t mean using the static libproj.a vs. the dynamic libproj.dylib. It means whether it links to libproj at compile time (static) or not (dynamic). Strange, you normally want things linked at compile time, and this is the only GDAL compile option for libraries that does this. Something to do with the Linux way of linking I think (you’d set an environment variable pointing to extra locations to find libraries). So, with the ‘dynamic’ link option, the utilities (gdal_translate, ogr2ogr, …) couldn’t find the GIS Libs libproj and couldn’t project any data.
Well, that’s fixed now in GIS Libs 1.3.3.
MapServer 4.6.0rc1 installer, just in time for the Open Source Geospatial ’05 Conference. If the final release is available by then, expect a final installer release before the conference.
GIS Libs has also been updated: GEOS is updated to 2.1.2; GRASS raster support has (finally) been added.
Blast it all! I thought I got the Tiger bit out of Postgres. Whle fixing the dependency checking problem, I found that Postgres won’t run on 10.3.9 like it should. I’ll have to work on it later tonight.
Oops! Bad dependency checking logic in the installers. They’re fixed now (I didn’t bother to change the versions on these). The installers affected are Postgres+PostGIS, PHP and MapServer.
OK, looks like PHP and MapServer are not for 10.3.9 either. A couple recent Tiger changes are too much for Panther: libcurl (used in PHP and MapServer) changed from 2 to 3, not just a point version change; and libbz2 (used in PHP) is not in Panther at all.Looks like I’ll have to make separate Panther and Tiger installers after all 🙁 I’ll update the dependency checking later so the current installers won’t install on 10.3.9. The previous installers are still available if you need Panther support.
Finally finished updating the Mapserver, PHP, Postgres and libraries installers for Tiger. The old ones still work on Tiger, it’s just official now. Cleaned things up a bit also. The only version change is to Postgres 8.0.3 and PostGIS 1.0.1. And MrSID has been dropped from GIS Libs (a Tiger issue).
All installer now do version and dependency checking. No worries about forgetting something. Minimum requirements have been upped to Mac OS 10.3.9, Mac OS 10.3.6 compatibility would have required much more work but the old installers are still available. But, Postgres is not required for GIS Libs, PHP and MapServer if you don’t need it. Install just what you need!
Now to work on the build instructions.
I took the Tiger plunge this weekend. Overall, it went smooth. But I don’t care much for Dashboard, and I’m having problems with Spotlight (a common issue it seems).
I did an upgrade install (I’m brave, I guess). All my UNIX builds made it thru. The only hitch was Apache – my httpd.conf was saved to httpd.conf.user_modified and none of my changes were added back to the new httpd.conf. Which means that Apache was using Apple’s PHP. A quick update to httpd.conf restored my PHP and MapServer.
If you did an Upgrade install and are not up to editing httd.conf, here’s what you can do: delete
/Library/Receipts/php4apache.pkg; reinstall my PHP package. Simple.
If you do an Archive and Install, or Clean/Erase install, it looks like there should be no problems installing my packages on Tiger. But I’m not sure about Tiger Server.
I have a report that the build instructions also work as is on Tiger.
I hope to start working on Tiger builds (and a few updates) soon. I expect backwards compatibility to Mac OS 10.3.6.
Oops, my host had MySQL problems last week. Tho the problems didn’t affect the site much, my host decided to update MySQL yesterday, and that killed it.I guess I should keep a closer eye on my site, and not wait for someone to gripe (or not).